I’ve had the opportunity to provide video support for the 35 Denton Music Festival for a number of years now. In fact this past year was my sixth opportunity to do so. Here are some clips from the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 festivals. When I was asked to return and film the event I knew this would be a great opportunity to film with my Panasonic GH4. Considering past experiences while filming the festival, I knew that I needed to find something to protect my camera. In the past, when filming a music festival I’m usually running from venue to venue and having to move fast to get in quick and get a shot. Once I get a few take-aways I’m then having to grab my gear, fight my way through the crowd and move onto to my next location. I’ve always wanted to film the festival with a sizable camera rig that allowed me to standout when compared to other photographers and videographers. With these thoughts in mind I went to the internet with the intention of finding a camera cage for my Panasonic GH4. That’s when I stumbled upon the Hunt Camera Cage for Panasonic GH4 by CAMTREE. I purchased the device a few weeks prior to the festival and have been using it ever since.
Now having used this camera cage for a few months there are a few things that I think I should mention in regards to the CAMTREE Hunt Camera Cage for Panasonic GH4.
- Expandable: This camera cage comes with a set of standard 15mm rods which can be used to mount a falloff focus, matte box and a number of additional accessories.
- Light weight: The entire unit including the carrying case comes in at 11 lbs.
- Detachable handle: The handle can be used to carry the rig, as well as for filming. This handle can quickly be attached in 2 different directions (either over the camera lens or backwards over the back of the camera).
- 15mm Rod adapter: The rods are attached to the base plate via a locking pin and can be pushed in front of or behind the camera as needed. These rods store nicely in the carrying case after one of the plastic stoppers is removed off one end.
- Hand Strap: The included leather strap is a great addition to this camera cage, because this allows the user to get a tighter grip on the camera when filming. I like to tighten my camera straps down tight when filming with hand straps as I like to torque my camera around quickly when filming. This strap stay very tight and rarely needs to be retightened
- Hot Shoe adapter: This slot on the top of the detachable arm is great for holding microphones and or LED lights.
- Sliding base plate: I utilize this quite often when I am on location. For the most part I like to setup my camera with a matte box and my falloff focus. I like how simple it is to disassemble the rod system and pull my camera away.
- Carrying case: The plastic carrying case is very sturdy and quite spacious. In fact I use the extra space in this carrying case to store my falloff focus when not in use.
- Cage obstructs proper alignment of lens adapters: The camera cage was designed to fit the Panasonic GH4 rather snugly. I’ve noticed that there is a lip on the front of the cage that obstructs my Metabones Speed Booster from fitting properly while I have the Metabones tripod foot attached. The tripod foot can be removed from the Speed Booster with a alan wrench that is included with the Metabones kit. Once this is removed, I’ve noticed that the lens adapter fits properly on the GH4.
- Camera can shift off center: I’ve also noticed that the camera will shift left or right if not properly tightened down. This is problematic if you are using a matte box at the end of your rig, as the lens will move left or right when you are filming. To remedy the situation you have to detach the camera cage from the sliding base plate and then tighten the camera cage to the GH4. I recommend keeping the GH4 tightened down at all times when using this adapter.
Why I recommend
I would recommend this camera cage for a number of reasons. For starters the cage is a great fit for the Panasonic GH4. The fact that it includes a rod system with the unit sets this entire product apart from other similar cages. I also love that it comes with a carrying cage and the ability to attach and detach every accessory. Hands down this is a great camera cage for anyone who is looking for one to utilize with their Panasonic GH4.